Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Interview with Lisa Samson


Lisa Samson, the author of the Hollywood Nobody series and many more agreed to do an interview with me. Thanks a bunch, Lisa!





1. What are some of the things you like to do, except writing?

I love to read, do needle work, cook, and my favorite thing is to hang out with people! The more the merrier here at our house. I like to go to the movies too, but that's gotten pretty expensive, so I don't get to do that as much as I'd like.

2. How long have you been a Christian?

I've been Christian knowingly since I was three! But it's still been such a journey trying to figure out what it really means to be a true follower of Jesus, not someone who just believes it's all true.

3. I saw on the back of your teen books, another author encouraged you to write YA books, were you kind of nervous about them not being as good as your adult books?

I'm always nervous whatever I'm writing won't be any good, so it felt just the same!


4. In the Hollywood Nobody books, Seth and Scotty text a lot, did you have to learn what some of the letters and symbols mean? Like w means with, lol means laugh out loud, or did you know them off the top of your head?


I love text messaging, so I got into the language quickly. Now, I'm normally a full-word texter, but I receive a lot of them with symbols and abbreviations. I dropped my phone in the driveway last winter, it snowed overnight, so I had to get a new phone. I got one of those kind with the full keyboard and I love it.

5. Are you working on any books right now?

I'm working on my next adult novel and am dreaming up the possibilities for my next YA series! I stand in front of the Young Adult section in Barnes and Noble and am mystified sometimes. "What do people want to read that's different?" I know vampires, supernatural stuff is so popular, but do I want to add another vampire series to the mix? Or a series about mean girls? Hey, how about a series about mean vampire girls? So any help there would be appreciated!

6. Are you planning on writing any more YA books in the feature?

Ha! I just answered that! Great minds think alike! Hopefully I'll start working on one soon. (If I can just figure out what to write! Aah!!)

7. Where do you usually write your work? Do you write in bed, on a desk, or anything?

Anywhere. Bed. Couch. Front porch. And even my car! Sometimes, when I can't concentrate, I drive to a parking lot and work.

8. When did you know you wanted to write?

I've always loved to read, but I never really considered writing until I was 28! It's never too late to begin! I just decided to write a book, that's all. And I could basically do it. I really believe it's just a gift God gave me, and I'm very grateful.

9. In school, what are some of the things you were good at?

Well, let me first start off and say that I am not, nor have I ever been, good at Math. When the kids reach about 5th grade, their dad has to step in for homework help. I always loved history and biology. History, because it's one great big story, and biology because, well, the human body, nature in general, has always fascinated me. I mean . . . eyeballs . . . amazing, aren't they?


Thanks so much Lisa! Thanks for taking to time to do this for me!

Natalie

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That's really cool that you got to interview her! I've never heard of her, but her books sound kind of good. :) Post more! And on your Homeschool Journal blog :D

Belle said...

Great interview, Natalie, Lisa. I love reading authors talk about their writing, and it's nice too to learn about other things in their lives not related to writing!