Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Apologize

Hey guys, I apologize for not posting in such a long time. I've had such a crazy summer. In fact it's been one of the worst summers ever. I have had FOUR HOSPITAL STAYS THIS SUMMER. I know, that's part of the reason why I haven't had very much time to read.



I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease this summer. Crohn's diease is an inflammatory bowel disease, and if you don't know what that is just ask. I had my first hospital stay in June, that was only for two days. After that I had another hospital stay at the end of July, and I stayed in the hospital for 7 days. I had developed abscesses because I had been eating food, and food got stuck in my intestines and then it started to rot. I know, disgusting. Anyway, to broke through and started an abscess.



I had that abscess drained, and everything seemed well. In the mean time, I had been on three different meds for the inflammation, but the inflammation hadn't gotten any better. I went home for 8 days and that next Monday, I ended up in the hospital...again. I had developed THREE MORE ABSCESSES! By that time that was my 5th CT scan, and on the C T scan they saw that they couldn't drain the abscesses because there was a thing like a bridge, combining all three to my intestine. So if they put a drain in, my intestine would keep feeding it.

So the doctors just put me on a heavy dose of antibiotics and sent me home, after 5 days in the hospital. My doctor sent me home NPO (nothing by mouth) and I was eating clear liquids for a month. Why he did that was because he wanted to give ones of the medications a chance to work, and every time I ate food, I developed abscesses, so he wanted NO food at all in my stomach so the meds had a chance to work.

After a month we did another CT scan to see if the medication had worked. The three abscesses were gone, but the inflammation wasn't. :( So we decided to talk with a surgeon.

I had surgery on Thursday, and I've been in the hospital ever since. The surgeon took out all my intestines and examined them, and the rest of the looked really good. So that was a little bit of good news.

So...as you have read...I have had a ruff summer. But I am almost done the The Lord of the Rings, I have forty pages left and I will hopefully finish it this week.


Thanks for understanding.

Natalie

2 comments:

Gramma said...

Hi, Sweetie: You might mention that you did have about 8 inches of intestines taken out - you just mention that "the rest" were okay, but it doesn't really let them know that you had part of your intestines and colon removed.

So glad you are coming home today, Natalie - God is good!

Love you.

Grammama

Natalie said...

thanks sierra! i'm feeling a lot better, almost like i didn't even have surgery. thanks for understanding!

Natalie