Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Penny From Heaven by Jennifer Holm



Title: Penny From Heaven


Author: Jennifer Holm


Stars: 5


Description: It's 1953 and eleven-year-old Penny dreams of a summer of butter pecan ice cream, swimming, and baseball. But nothing that simple for Penny. For starters, she can't go swimming because her mother's afraid she'll catch polio at the pool. To make matters worse, her favoritet uncle is living in a car. Her Nonny cries every time her father's name is mentioned. And the two sides of her family aren't speaking to each other. When it rains it sure does rain, but Penny's learning that like the song says... even the darkest clouds may just contain some pennies from heaven.





This book is one of my favorites. Well, most of them are. But this one is based on a true story. Well, part of it is. But this story is a very good story about listening to your family and having fun.


Penny's dad died when she was little. And she doesn't know why. Her mother won't talk to her dads side of the family. Penny doesn't understand at all. Her mother won't let her go to the pool or the movie theater because her mother thinks she might get polio.


This book is just a really good book about family and more.




Who is Your Favorite Character and Why? I think my favorite character would be Frankie. Penny's cousin. Why? He is funny and always gets into trouble. That is mostly the funny part.
What is Your Favorite Part and Why? My favorite part would be when Penny's mother's boyfriend asks Penny for her mother's hand in marriage. Why? Because it is a good moment between Penny and her soon to be daddy.



Are You Like The Main Character Or Why Aren't You? Yes, I would say I am like the main character, Penny. Well, in some ways. I don't sneak off to the pool when my mom says not to. So I would says in some ways!
I really enjoyed this book! Try is out!
Natalie

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My daughter is 10 and she just read this book and really liked it.

Thanks for joining in!

Carrie said...

I hadn't heard of this book before so I appreciated the review of it.

Thanks!

Alyce said...

I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds good.